Tuesday, July 25, 2017 18:44

Why A Conservative Witch?

In Which Your Wiccapundit Explains It All.

In this inaugural post, I will venture to reveal something that is truly occult (that is, hidden) – how a witch came to be politically conservative, or how a political conservative became a witch.  First, a bit of terminology.  Most Wiccans (and many pagans) try to live their lives in accordance with what is known as the Rede (see the FAQ for definition): An it harm none, do as you will.

This is not, as some might think, a license to be libertine.  On the contrary, it imposes a significant obligation on us as witches.  We can choose to live our lives any way we see fit, so long as we do not cause harm to anyone, and we are responsible for the consequences of our choices and our actions.  The “an it harm none” portion of the Rede, of course, must be considered in light of what is required to live.  Some believe that this prohibits the use of animals for food; others believe that because in nature animals eat other animals, that this is not prohibited by the Rede.

Similarly, most believe that a prohibition on killing (much as with the Christian Sixth Commandment; more specifically, murder) does not apply in the case of self-defense, military necessity, or in some cases capital punishment.

I was conservative before becoming a witch.  I found the belief system of the Wiccan faith to be largely consistent with my political views.  However, I learned early on that many witches and pagans (though not all, by any means) were decidedly left-of-center politically.  A brief rundown of some generally accepted conservative political positions and how they relate to my religious beliefs follows:

First Amendment freedom of religion – Of Course.

Second Amendment right to bear arms – If I choose to arm myself to protect myself or my family (and I do), I will “do as I will”, but I am responsible for my actions in doing so.  – Consistent.

Belief that individuals have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.  – Hmmm, that sounds like… the Rede.

Belief that individuals should be self-sufficient as much as possible, and endeavor to help others help themselves rather than doing things for them. – Consistent.

Right to Life – Although many liberal witches are stridently pro-abortion, I believe that the Rede’s “an it harm none” provision prohibits taking the life of the unborn, except in the most dire – and usually rare – medical situations.  The “do as you will” (but be responsible) provision means to me that an individual should be responsible if their voluntary sexual activity results in an unwanted pregnancy.  – Consistent.

There are many issues facing the American people, and the conservative position on virtually all of them is something I am at least accomodating of, if not outright endorsing.  In upcoming posts, I hope to engage intelligent, thoughtful (and one hopes, funny) people in the swirling political cauldron (gratuitous witch reference) that is this great nation.

Goddess Bless America.

Wiccapundit

Tags: , , ,

38 Responses to “Why A Conservative Witch?”

1. Elphaba says:

“Goddess Bless America.”

Indeed!

• Rdorian says:

80% agree. Being of the age and exposure to understand that no woman takes abortion lightly and that many women are some form of rape victim, I am absolutely pro-choice conservative, an even more lonesome kind of Buddhist Christian, pagan Witch. A true Libertarian respects the profound circumstances under which life unfolds for others and that abortion is a terrible personal choice for survival which no other can judge. The concept of protecting life is only considered in these terms when the zygote is involved and when a miserble deranged, Adhd Psycho child enters the system, people do not feel nearly as precious about endless support. I cannot help but think that the pro-lifers, though they share many of my Libertarian views, cannot fully appreciate the plight of women faced with this choice and instead react to the hard wiring of protecting this imagined innocent. In order to fully embrace the Libertarian ideal, it is necessary for this Christian Buddhist Pagan Witch to understand what aspects of our evolution require us to extend freedoms to all who suffer from its flaws and grieve the losses of it’s victims, the men who legally rape by intimidation, and the zygots that we kill as a result. Making women it’s victims too, that don’t fix the real problem.
      Thanks for the chance to speak about it to a conservative and sane people. I love this Redstate witch and her willingness to wear this tall black hat.

• Wiccapundit says:

I wouldn’t expect 100% agreement with any position I hold. This particular issue is obviously one which implicates the Rede, and requires significant contemplation by any individual affected. I acknowledge that there are circumstances in which a woman might have to make an extremely difficult decision. I have found, however, that most often the decision seems to be more about the woman’s convenience than her health. I have not seen compelling evidence concerning how many abortions are done after rapes. I believe the vast number that are performed indicate that it is often simply considered another form of birth control. And true, many on the Christian right seem concerned with life up to birth, and then check out on the subject.

Nonetheless, I think that with over 1.3 million abortions performed per year in the United States alone, the vast majority of those are unrelated to rape or incest. I would probably find the pro-choice argument more compelling if that number were much smaller and if the “choice” included adoption as well as abortion. For the most adamant abortion supporters, pro “choice” usually means only choosing abortion. If that changed, there might be more common ground.

Thanks for your post, and for the thoughtful presentation of your views on this. I hope you will visit us often and provide us with your comments. 🙂

Just for information, Wiccapundit (me) is male. My wife (also a witch) also posts here as Elphaba.

2. Nicholas says:

So, have they drummed you out of the coven yet? 😉

I have to admit, I’ve met very few conservative Wiccans. Many more quasi-libertarian Wiccans and neo-Pagans, but very few conservatives. Like you, I found the vast majority of Wiccans to be left of centre (and I’m in Canada, where the “centre” is already further left than in the US).

Still, welcome to blogging and I hope you continue.

• Wiccapundit says:

In our former coven (before we moved), there were numerous conservatives (and it was a large group). As I note in the post above, most were professionals and small business owners. That is also not in conformity with most people’s conception of the “average” witch.

I would say that the majority of openly Wiccan and pagan individuals are stridently leftist, and that many of the conservative ones have professional careers that prevent them being open, even in today’s more – shall I say it? – liberal environment.

Thanks for the comment, and I hope you’ll check us out often.

3. Sebastian says:

Good to have found your blog. As you can see from the included website, I am of very much the same mind. There are too few of us (that speak up anyway).

• Elphaba says:

Merry Meet, Sebastian! Thanks for visiting our blog. Checked yours out, too, and I have added you to our blogroll. It is good to know that we are not alone out here in the interwebisphere. <|=)

• Wiccapundit says:

Welcome Sebastian. I look forward to checking out your blog. There might seem to be very few of us conservative witches, but there are more than you might realize. BTW, thank you for your service in the Navy. We are big supporters of the military here.

4. Sebastian says:

Kudos on “Why a Conservative Witch?”

In contrast to the first poster, I found myself in 100% agreement. In my experience, I have yet to meet a single woman who has had an abortion that fit into the criterion of rape, incest, or endangerment of the mothers life. Without exception they have all fit into the category of convenience. I have also come to understand that those with a conscience ultimately end up scarred from the decision they had made. It makes it difficult to understand how the “harm none” portion of the Rede can be made to apply to animals and even trees (the environment), but nor helpless and dependent children. I suppose the rationale first begins with terming babies as zygotes, however.

It is fantastic to see the participation of fellow conservative Wiccans here. I knew you were out there. Now lets all get together and start working on that Conservative Wiccan Manifesto!! (In between hexing the hell out of Nobama, that is 😉 ) BB

5. Linda Tice says:

I am new to Wicca but not conservatism. I am so glad that I found your site. Finding Wicca for me has felt like coming home…..and finding I am the weird relative. I haven’t met any conservatives in our Coven or in our local pagan society in general. I was starting to think I was the only one. So thank you.

• Conservatives are in short supply within the Wiccan community, that’s for sure. Mainly it is because the ideas and philosophies developed throughout its growth have been exclusively and intentionally opposed to those sensible to conservatives. But no worries, we are out there. Welcome home. 😉

6. Vesper says:

Thank you SO MUCH for this site! I am just beginning to explore the Craft, and I wondered if my conservatism would be in conflict with following my path as a Witch. Brightest blessings to all!

7. Elphaba says:

Merry meet, and welcome to you, Vesper! We are so happy that you found us, and we hope that you visit often! <|=)

8. Dick Kriegh says:

Joined my local Tea Party….getting active politically while I still have a voice! I have found a political online community site that allows everyone to fax Represenatives for free. If you are involved in that kind of thing…check it out at http://AmericanVoice.Com.! Also great site I will come back!

9. Moonlightraine says:

Yay! I’ve been wondering i f I was a walking paradox for many years. I’ve always thought being a true conservative goes way back to root of the word…conserve. That one word says it all. You don’t wast things, resources, people, time or anything else. Conservation, along with art and music seems to have been hijacked. I’ve been practicing my craft in my eclectic, solitary way for a long time, simply because every time I try to connect with likely brethren, they come off either as fakey vegan flower-children or or the usual bible-thumper types. It’s getting lonely over in NorCal!

“Man I’m Lovin’ This!”
    Blessings, Moonlightraine

10. Jodi says:

Thank you for this! Conservatism is very consistant with the Wiccan faith. I believe in personal responsibility, and that the bigger the government, the smaller the citizen. Liberalism is not consistant with my independent spirit!

11. Barmagick says:

Thanks for the well written blog. It’s nice to see there are more of us (conservative witches) out there.

I would like to note that in the Atlanta area there are more of us than one might think. Our coven is pretty much balanced in Con/Mod/Lib, and harmonious. 🙂

12. Tom says:

I don’t know if I’ve posted a comment here before. Discovered your site some months back when a Sarah Palin candidacy was still a possibility.

Regarding abortion: It occurred to me a while back that there is a non-religiously oriented justification for abortion-for-convenience being illegal in the US, and that this reason is founded solidly on our core political principles.

It is pointless to debate when human life begins, i.e. at what point abortion constitutes the taking of a human life. We cannot know the answer with definitude. However, in the hierarchy of fundamental rights (life, liberty, etc.), a human being’s right to life is the most important, simply because, without life, none of the other rights can exist.

The reason abortion-on-demand should be illegal in the US is because the right to life is the most important of our fundamental rights and because we do not know when life begins. It is because we do not know when life begins that our core principles demand that we err on the side of caution in any contest between the right of a woman to abort (who is entitled to the freedom to use her body as she wishes) and the right of a potential human being (which, if human, is entitled to the freedom to live). The right to life, being more fundamental, trumps the woman’s right to abort — not because we know the fetus is a human being, but because we don’t know. It is reckless folly to dash into the unknown and take a life that may be human merely for someone’s convenience; and, more than that, it is a rejection of the principle that life itself is sacred.

This is a conservative position, because it is founded in what are our traditionally core political principles. Imagine that.

13. Jamie W. says:

Omg! I found you by following links from Rob Taylor’s writings – and I feel like I’ve found home! I’ve always been libertarian/conservative (classical Liberal – liberalism left me for socialism, alas), and I became a Pagan back in my 20s when I finally found the belief system that suited me. I gave up on Paganism in all its forms when my husband was posted in Connecticut and I realized that my conservative beliefs made me an outcast in Pagan circles. Because I wouldn’t bend, I was labeled not-truly-one-of-us.

Thank you so much for starting this blog. I’ll be back on a regular basis.

14. Debbie says:

I am SOOO jazzed I found this site! I hope you post more. I too (very much like Jamie) feel I’m home. I am a libertarian (if I had to label myself) and an artist. I’m also Pagan/Wicca/Witch – been one off and on since my pre-teens. I’m much older now, but I just can’t seem to get away from my roots. Nor do I choose to. My mother bought my first book on witchcraft long ago before it became “pop” culture. Good to see others here too!

Love the blog, there IS hope!

Blessed Be
    Deb

15. Dee says:

I’m glad I found this site. I’m a Conservative Libertarian Wiccan, lol!

16. Jax says:

I’m glad I found your site, I didn’t know any others existed and I do completely agree with your points of view

17. JamieInWyoming says:

I am very happy to find your site. I “dabbled” years ago and found that Wicca didn’t really seem to align with my conservatism, but now that I am a little older, and lot wiser, I find like you did, that it actually DOES. I eagerly look forward to reading more.

Warmest Regard,

Jamie in Wyoming

• Wiccapundit says:

Glad to have you here. You are now out of the spam queue and able to comment at will.

Posts have been a little thin of late due to other commitments, but I hope to have some new stuff up soon.

18. Druidguard says:

And here I thought I was the only one! Thank you so much for putting it the way you did. I am not as well versed when it comes to blogging and such and this spoke volumes to me. Well done!

19. gabriel says:

So happy to have found you. Am also a conservative/libertarian wizard/witch/pagan. We’re not exactly thick on the ground…especially here in California!

Will be checking in regularly…keep it up, my friend.

Blessed be.

20. B says:

I am beyond thrilled to find others that feel similarly to myself politically and spiritually!!! I’d love to see many of you on other platforms more (though I know many conservative people aren’t on as much social media). Of any of you have tumblr or instagrams, I’d love to see more of you like-minded people! This is exciting!!! Thank you Red State Witch!